Saturday 8 October 2016

Breaking up is hard to do


Sad Adam Jensen.       Sadam Jensen.



So I've finally finished Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (until the next bit of DLC comes and waves its cybernetic tassels in my face). Overall it was pretty good, and I'm definitely going to play it again at some point. But not for a while. I teach games, so I need to play more games. Otherwise every session will be about Deus Ex, which isn't really in the best interests of the students. I know - I asked.

So now I'm faced with what to play next.

The answer should be obvious. I've got Oxenfree, sitting on the dashboard of the PS4, looking at me with adoring eyes. OK, yes, I told it I loved it. I played it for a while and got all excited about how beautiful it is and how atmospheric, and ooh the soundtrack. And I do want to go back to it.

But, promiscuous tease that I am, I went and downloaded Uncharted 4 the other day, because the PlayStation store had it on sale. So now that's sitting next to Oxenfree, pushing it's manly chest out as if to say "Come on, we both know I'm next."

And Oxenfree is looking a little alarmed, if I'm honest. Yes, it's pretty, and intelligent, and fun to be with. But Uncharted looks so damn exciting. And I'm so very weak.

My biggest fear is that Oxenfree will talk to the other games on the console. Those games that got pushed further down the dashboard as new games came along. Unfinished and unfulfilled.



"Oh yes," spits Invisible Inc. "He told me he loved me too. Until that whore Adam Jensen came along, and suddenly I'm sitting here with a bunch of saved games that he says he's definitely coming back to."

"He never came back to me either," sniffs Soma. Who might be tearful, but might just have a cold because the entire thing is set underwater and makes you feel wet and shivery and hang on I'm remembering now why I stopped playing.

Other games mutter and sulk from their dark corner of the game library. Will I ever finish what I started with Beyond Two Souls? I did get very annoyed with how it kept changing its mind about what mechanics to wear. Then there's a bunch of games who I haven't seen since we had a furious row about an unreasonable difficulty spike. And some who just seemed too high maintenance. Don't present me with a load of rules on the first date and expect a second.



And I'm sorry Ethan Carter. You're beautiful, but you're dull. Yes, you too, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture. I could look at you all day, but I'd be thinking of Metal Gear Solid's excellent stealth mechanics and emergent gameplay.

But no. I'm going to play Oxenfree. It's probably not that long, and it's perfect for Halloween month. Uncharted 4 will wait.

Oh, hang on. I said I'd see Virginia again this week.

And what about Volume? I never called Volume back.

And didn't I just download the remastered Resident Evil the other day?

And Dishonored 2 is out in a bit.

Sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment